The Disappointment that was the UNGASS on Drugs

Last year, I said that the UNGASS on drugs would come and go and nothing would happen. A few people cringed. One scrunched up her face like I'd just told a poop story. One said I was defeatist.

Sure, some amazing messages came out of the meeting from a bunch of brilliant drug policy warriors that I admire and am proud to know. But we saw no real change to UN language around drugs. The outcome document was disappointing. No UN officials were seen on the ground in countries meeting with heads of Ministries of Home Affairs. I doubt more than 12 people in the Malaysian National Anti-Drugs Agency knew what the UNGASS on drugs was.

 I'm not saying I have the solutions. I don't. I just wish we'd gotten real about it a hell of a lot sooner.

Comments