Zimbabwe - access to medicines powered by foreign aid

In September 2017, I was fortunate to visit Zimbabwe as part of the Unitaid NGO delegation. Unitaid, an entity under the World Health Organisation, works on equitable access to quality health technologies worldwide, and it does this by providing grants to organisations with reputable financial track records working on the ground in-country. 


On the 13th, I visited a village in Mazowe, about an hours’ drive away from the capital of Harare, to learn from community-based distributors (or CBDAs) of HIV self-testing kits. The kits are the OraQuick tests which works with a sample collected from rubbing one's gums with the diagnostic device provided, and it returns a result within 10 minutes. These test kits, salaries of CBDAs, and tablets to record HIV results, are funded by Unitaid. 


In this picture I took in Mazowe (right), you can see a CBDA explaining to a couple how the HIV self-test works. What struck me was how extremely well trained she was, and she managed to convince the male partner to take the test, even though he was initially reluctant. It was amazing to meet and talk to the CBDAs. I asked them what their main challenges were in distributing the self-test kits, and domestic violence from partners was one of them, and access to prisons were another. 


The next day, we visited a district hospital in Murehwa, about 1.5 hours from Harare. The hospital was equipped with Alere and GeneXpert analytical machines for the accurate diagnosis of HIV and TB, including paediatric cases. These machines were too funded by Unitaid. The laboratory technician, Simba (pictured below with the Alere machine), informed us that  per day, he ran 8-12 samples with the machine as each sample takes 1 hour to analyse. It was clear that the hospital would benefit from machines with more modules so that he would be able to run more tests at the same time. I am in awe of what a great job the Zimbabwean healthcare staff is doing with these funds. 


However, I left Zimbabwe with bittersweet feelings. The great majority of health technologies for malaria, tuberculosis, and HIV is funded by foreign funders.  Medicines for other conditions must be paid for out-of-pocket. Education is not free, with primary school costing anywhere from US$40-150 per term, a fee that many cannot afford. Even middle-class families in Harare suburbs do not have reliable electricity, with some relying on solar power. Working streetlights are sparse, creating safety issues for drivers and pedestrians alike, and roads are riddled with potholes.

Talking to MDC parliamentarians Ruth Labode and James Maridadi gave me hope that things are progressing, albeit slowly. There is much that needs to be done, and I hope to be able to help. 




Comments

  1. Thanks Fifa great work for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you a lot for providing individuals with a very spectacular possibility to read critical reviews from this site.
    safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool post, highly informative and professionally written and I am glad to be a visitor of this perfect blog, thank you for this rare info!
    industrial safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are looking for IT Support Leeds, check out the mentioned link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d love to be a part of group where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you.
    industrial safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comfortably, the post is really the freshest on that deserving topic. I harmonise with your conclusions and definitely will thirstily look forward to your next updates.

    https://www.testingxperts.com/industries/insurance/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! I’m enjoying the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a very good job with this.
    nebosh course in chennai
    offshore safety course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unitaid, an entity under the WHO works on equitable access to quality health technologies worldwide. Digital signs learn from community-based distributors of health self-testing kits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This could be one of the most useful blogs we have ever come across on Actually excellent info! I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.
    Hunza Valley Supplement

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete
  12. These tips are really helpful for me, I hope you would like to check the bortezomib injection online at our website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment